Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Winding down...

Finally, I've found time to post an update! Hopefully, it will include lots of pictures as long as blog spot and my computer are feeling nice tonight.

Things are finally starting to wind down. And, I think my schedule will soon get into a pretty good groove. It's been kind of crazy lately as my training for the restaurant interferes with my intern days. Not to mention, my hours are all over the place.

I've been absent as my training for the restaurant has been going on these past two weeks. Yes, past two weeks... it's about a 9 day training program. It includes, quizzes, following trainers working their tables, trainers following me serving there tables, final exams, and an audit. And yes, they made me go through the whole training again. No one seems to know why for sure as all the trainers have thought I've done great and will do fine. We've decided on one of two explanations.

1. There's a guy that transferred in recently who wasn't so hot and blew it for me.
2. (The more likely reason), they're skimming the fat around there at the moment as far as employees go. They have a deck that's open during summers which means more staff. In the winter when they close it, they trim back the staff to people who show they deserve to be there. Hence, they really had no need to hire me, but the manager likes to work with transfers. So, he just wants to make sure it's worth it. Good for me. But, I know I wouldn't be happy if I was one of the servers there though.

On top of that, I had my first visitor here in NY! :) Although we didn't get to hang out much socially, I think it was a great visit. We went shopping and location scouting one day (she's a photographer as well and was lining up some shoots while she was there. So I was pointing out some areas that might make for good backdrops. Once she gets those posted, I will include it on my blog.)

So, when people ask how's NY the answer is pretty much: gallery, gallery, training, tired, gallery, subway, subway, bus, gallery, training, broke, subway, bus....and AWESOME! :) Now if I could start making some income, that would be SUPER!

As for Keona, he's adjusting. He's unfortunately had a lot of time by himself at the apartment. But I was glad to see the other night that at least he's putting it to good use:

Not only is he smart, but apparently quite studious as well! ;)

And yes, that is my room. It's nothing fancy now, but it is affordable!! I have been meaning to get some pictures of the apartment up. I wanted to wait until I was done done, but that may never happen. So, here it is as of now.

My awesome NY/ NJ view! And what a fantastic closet! ;) It definitely beats the metal roller racks!

With everything that's changed is nice to have a familiar work station. Complete with spiffy new paper/ prints drawer. Thanks, dad! <3

Front entrance:

My "living room." Finally, a nice shelf for my books!!! :)

Picture that was 50% off with a little bit of Sweden in the chair (the pillow is called Stockholm).

Sitting area:

Kitchen curtains and a photo by Alex Web. One of my favorites.

The hallway into my bedroom (bathroom is the door on the left)
and the trusty PUB MIRROR! :)
Floor length curtains from Ikea that I didn't know I was going to have to hem. Oops. Didn't know they came in different lengths.

And the not so cute part of the apartment... cleaning. Notice the before and after. Mmmmmm!
And... after they were clean. I thought that darker color was wood grain at first. Bleh!



And now, something MUCH PRETTIER!

That building on the right is the restaurant I work at. And if you'll notice the view behind it. That's what I'm looking at while I'm at work. The building has floor to ceiling windows.
And the scenery on the walk home:



I thought about posting a picture from a new body of work I'm starting. But, I think I'll save it until I've developed it some more. I'm really excited about the things that are brewing in my head as far as photos go! I can definitely see this being a turning point in my work.

Same style, definite visual shift.

:)


AND THAT, is all I've got for tonight.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg ur there. omg. omg. ur living ur life, im so happy for you.

Anonymous said...

that was me above comment.

Val said...

WOWZERS! You have been busy! The apartment looks great - I love the bookshelf (and the sterio :>).

I'm so excited for you and I can't wait to see that "new body of work." I know it will be awesome!

Miss you!

Nicole said...

Awww... Keona!!