Thursday, September 11, 2008

I <3 NY (and I just got here!)

Some of you know, but for those that don't, it has been my intention recently to move to NY. My lease in Daytona was up as of August 15th. As that date quickly approached, I thought "so, what next?... I think it's time to move on, but to what!?" I've always felt like I wanted to live in NY, at least for a little bit, but always thought it would be later. However, recent issues that developed in my personal life caused me to ask myself, "WHY LATER? WHY NOT NOW?"

So I packed up the puppy and moved home with my parents... with thoughts in my mind of moving to NY shortly afterwards. I'm lucky enough to have parents that gladly took me back in, fed me, and put up with my dog and all his late night barking, so that I could throw myself into coordinating a move, a job, internship, and a place to stay. I've been researching the move (apt. costs, areas of town to live in), and feeling out the job market. Originally, I was planning to visit NY at the end of August, but that fell through as I couldn't find a place to stay (I am on a budget, you know). I tried again for the middle of September. I set my dates for the 10th-15th once an old friend from school confirmed that she could have me those days. This wonderful, very helpful friend of mine (that I'm now gratefuly indebted to) was unable to host me the original days of August as her mom was in town. This is important. I will come back to it! :)

About 2 weeks before I left, I began sending out e-mails, resumes, looking into housing options, and scheduling appointments as people began responding to my e-mails. Come to find out, a good amount of galleries here are closed in August or at least for the later portion of it, and then re-open in Sept... Now, I'm a big believer in things working out when they're supposed to... and in this case that could not have been more true! If my forementioned friend would have been able to have me in August, it probably wouldn't have mattered much for me (in the area of finding a job/ internship) since galleries were closed! HA. How's that for serendipity?!

I am getting to some really good news... so stay with me. There will be pretty pictures in the mean time! :)

My first day here (the 10th) I traveled around the city with my friend's boyfriend to familiarize myself with the area.

This is the subway station outside of their apt.. Not too many that are above ground, so that was neat.

There was a gallery opening in Brooklyn I wanted to go to, so he was helping me figure out the subways so as not to get lost on my way there. I got to the opening, but when it was time to go back, I didn't really know where the subway station was (sometimes they're a bit tricky with coming and going until you get the hang of it). I saw a pair of stairs leading up to what I thought would be the subway. Instead, this is what I saw:

HA! Imagine my suprise! I'm thinking I'm going to see dingy subway, and instead I'm in awe. I thought to myself "All of the crap that New Yorkers put up with... it's things like this that must the reason they stay (and LOVE it!). Notice the two light beams to the left at Ground Zero.

I decided, "forget the subway, I'M WALKING!" And that's what I did. I walked my happy, speechless behind over the Brooklyn Bridge. :) And here are some more pictures:


AND: a fun 360 degree video (I think that's the right one.. and I'm new to blogspot, so I hope it works)

Anywho, got up this morning and got ready for my first interview at the Silverstein Gallery (a photo gallery in Chelsea). Thought I was almost going to be late... it took an hour to get there!! But I was there with a few minutes to spare. Luckily I did have enough time to do two things on the way:

- to stop at a market and get some visine (boo for my whole bottle sitting at home). My eyes have been pretty red since I got here. I think they're a bit sun burnt... is that possible?? (I forgot my glasses yesterday, and then again today) Didn't want the person interviewing me to think them red for some other reason.

-to pull my fancy shoes out of my bag and switch them out with the flip flops I had been wearing. I've never been more all about big bags then I have been on this trip! ;)

I was in the interview for about 10 minutes, and she offered it to me! I WAS OFFERED AN INTERNSHIP AT A PHOTO GALLERY IN CHELSEA!!!!!! She wants to know how soon I can start!! So, now I have to figure out what to do about a place to stay. Do I even use the return portion of my ticket or do I just stay here?? Lord knows I packed enough clothes to last at least a month!

That's my good news! I'm about all blogged out. I think it's long enough anyway! :) Hopefully more good news (and pictures) soon to follow! :)

No comments: