Sunday, November 9, 2008

laundry theif?

Apparently, Sunday is a pretty popular day to do laundry (one I will be avoiding from now on!).

One load... that's all I wanted to do! They made it through the wash ok. They even made it into the dryer without a hitch.

I just realized this story needs is some back story!! :) So, Sundays the restaurant has brunch. For the dinner shift, you're scheduled to go in at one of two times: 2:30pm or 5:00pm. When you're scheduled for the earlier shift, the earlier you get there...you get to choose what section you want. Lately, I haven't been doing so hot at work, so I wanted to get there early to get a good shift where I could make a nice chunk of change.

So, back to the story... I'm trying to get ready early. I go to pull my clothes out of the dryer, only come to find out someone has moved them. Apparently the lady put her card in and pressed the button for the dryer my clothes were in. So, she thought it would be ok to take them out and put them in the dryer above. Only, I'm hearing all this from a second lady, because apparently the first one doesn't speak english! I kind of look at them both and think.... "really? do you THINK it was ok, that you touched my clothes and moved them?!" So, I kind of shrug my shoulders and say I guess not... because really, what am I going to do at this point? Tell her to go back in time and tell her to think reasonably. Perhaps something along the lines of:
-open dryer door so your time doesn't run with my clothes in
-wait, because I'm OBVIOUSLY coming back SOON as my clothes are done drying
-THEN proceed to close the door again to start drying your clothes when I've gotten mine, so you don't touch my personal belongings......

Who am I kidding.. that makes SENSE! Why would anyone do that?!

So, I get back upstairs to my apartment and notice that, yes, it has become a problem. One of my shirts is missing! I go BACK down stairs to ask her to look through her load to see if it was mixed in with her clothes. But of course she's not there. AND I'm starting to run late. Plus, I've noticed that I don't know where my time card is to clock into work. Great, I probably left it in the shirt that's now missing. It's probably flopping around the dryer that this strangers clothes are in!

Do I rifle through her stuff? In my defense I wouldn't have had to if she wouldn't have touched my stuff because I know I would have gotten everything out. I just couldn't bring myself to do it.
So, I'm sans one work shirt, a time card, and I didn't make it to work early, so YET again... I only came home with $70

1 comment:

Nicole said...

That really sucks. But I have to ask.. Did you ever do laundry at a facility at UCF? The reason I ask this is when I used to do my laundry at Riddle, this sort of thing happened all the time. It's definitely quite a common thing to take someone else's laundry out of the dryer. I'm not saying I've done it or that I condone it in any way. But I'm surprised that you're surprised by this.